Thursday, April 23, 2009

Our Trail of Tears Writing

by Eugene

We have been following this dreaded trail for three weeks now. The rough, dry trail feels like sand to our bare feet. We are traveling to an unknown land that the white men call “Oklahoma”. I have lost two relatives to the harsh cold because they only had their summer clothing. It is infuriating to bury my mother and brother’s ashes in this unknown land. Many have wondered why the white men are forcing us from our homes and nearly everyone concludes that it is insatiable greed. Everywhere I go on this wretched trail I hear screams of pain, smell death, and see looks of sadness and fear on the looks of my people’s children. I have yet to rid my mouth of the taste of dust mixed with goat fur. Hopefully the snowstorms will subside soon.

No comments: